Friday, July 22, 2011

Upma of Leftover Chappati’s (Roti/ wheat pancakes)

Wasting food is a sin. We can try out new ways to remodify the leftover's and discover a new recipe. Here is a one which i would like to share with you to make a tasty breakfast out of my left over chappati's of last night.
Ingredients
5-6 leftover chappati’s
2 onions
1 small tomato (optional)
Chopped green coriander for garnishing
2-3 green chillies
2 tbsp cooking oil
1tbsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp coriander powder
Salt (as per taste)
1-2 tbsp sugar
Mustard seeds (for the tadka)

Method
Crumb the chappati’s in a bowl. Add sugar and salt to this and keep it aside.
In a pan, heat the oil and splutter mustard seeds, sauté onions until it turns light brown. Add chopped green chillies, coriander powder and turmeric powder to this. If you want u can add one small chopped tomato to give a tangy taste. Don’t cook the tomato too much as this will make the upma watery. After this add the chaptti crumb mixture to this and mix it well. Keep the flame low and put the lid on the pan for 3-4 minutes to steam once. Uncover the upma, turn off the stove and transfer the upma in a serving bowl. Garnish it with green chopped coriander and serve hot with pickle.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Snehal, enjoyed reading your recipes.... but the one I enjoyed most is this leftover chapati upma.

    Like you said, I hate wasting food and try as far as possible to re-cycle it in different ways. Normally, whenever I have leftover chapatis I shred them and feed them to the birds and squirrels that frequent my balcony.

    But last evening I had 7 leftover chapatis and I was tempted to try out your upma recipe. So this morning for breakfast me and my hubby had a wonderful breakfast of chapati upma! We really enjoyed it! Thanks for posting the recipe !(Ofcourse, I made a few changes by adding some ginger garlic paste and jeera instead of the mustard seeds and added a little lemon juice for the tangy flavour.

    I'm going to post it on my food blog (ofcourse with due acknowledgements). I have a food blog too, you can visit it at : http://www.crazy-bout-food.blogspot.com

    Bye!

    ReplyDelete